TL 800 recap?

Problemi tecnici vari - Technical problem? Need help? Post here
Rispondi
saharadust

TL 800 recap?

Messaggio: # 19167Messaggio saharadust
mer 1 mar 2023, 22:36

Hello. I have a pair of Telefunken TL 800's, with which I'm very happy - I adore how they sound and they may well be the definitive endgame speaker for me. It's a 10 spokes version, with original cables, I've bought Monacor sponge for them, I have them placed on Telefunken TLX3 stands, similar to Grundig BF4, close to the wall. I'm using a number of amps / combinations to drive them, the main one being the V7200 (either on its own or combined with the XV7500&T7200). Sanyo JA220 and Grundig V1700 also sound super nice with these speakers (noting it's limited in volume given the 8 Ohm limitation of that amp... but then I don't listen too loud).

There appears to be a problem which I'm struggling to localise. I have clearly established that one channel typically plays slightly (but audibly) quieter than the other. Most often it's the left channel but sometimes I think it's the right channel that plays quieter. Swapping the speaker terminals doesn't seem to get me where I want to, i.e. I get confused when I swap - the expectation being that the speaker that was quieter would become the one that is louder, but it doesn't seem to happen (what exactly happens is difficult to grasp...).

I know I need to carry out the tests more carefully but I'm somewhat struggling. Lately, it began to seem to me that it's the high-mid on the left speaker that is the culprit as I think it's playing very quiet. It's almost like hallucinating as sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't!

In any event, the question is as follows. I think I'd read somewhere (maybe on one of the old forums but am not able to find it now) that, unlike modifying the Grundigs, it's relatively safe to recap the TL800 (provided it's done by someone who knows what they're doing). Is it the case and what's the recommendation? Change only those capacitors that are malfunctioning based on measurements? Any other suggestions?

All I want is to finally have 2 channels playing at equal volume. These speakers are particularly dear to me and I don't want to lose the beatiful sound they're producing by virtue of a seemingly benign recap exercise.

Thank you all so much.
Boris

M.Ambrosini
Site Admin
Contatta:

Re: TL 800 recap?

Messaggio: # 19173Messaggio M.Ambrosini
gio 2 mar 2023, 9:59

saharadust ha scritto:
mer 1 mar 2023, 22:36
Hello. I have a pair of Telefunken TL 800's, with which I'm very happy - I adore how they sound and they may well be the definitive endgame speaker for me. It's a 10 spokes version, with original cables, I've bought Monacor sponge for them, I have them placed on Telefunken TLX3 stands, similar to Grundig BF4, close to the wall. I'm using a number of amps / combinations to drive them, the main one being the V7200 (either on its own or combined with the XV7500&T7200). Sanyo JA220 and Grundig V1700 also sound super nice with these speakers (noting it's limited in volume given the 8 Ohm limitation of that amp... but then I don't listen too loud).

There appears to be a problem which I'm struggling to localise. I have clearly established that one channel typically plays slightly (but audibly) quieter than the other. Most often it's the left channel but sometimes I think it's the right channel that plays quieter. Swapping the speaker terminals doesn't seem to get me where I want to, i.e. I get confused when I swap - the expectation being that the speaker that was quieter would become the one that is louder, but it doesn't seem to happen (what exactly happens is difficult to grasp...).

I know I need to carry out the tests more carefully but I'm somewhat struggling. Lately, it began to seem to me that it's the high-mid on the left speaker that is the culprit as I think it's playing very quiet. It's almost like hallucinating as sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't!

In any event, the question is as follows. I think I'd read somewhere (maybe on one of the old forums but am not able to find it now) that, unlike modifying the Grundigs, it's relatively safe to recap the TL800 (provided it's done by someone who knows what they're doing). Is it the case and what's the recommendation? Change only those capacitors that are malfunctioning based on measurements? Any other suggestions?

All I want is to finally have 2 channels playing at equal volume. These speakers are particularly dear to me and I don't want to lose the beatiful sound they're producing by virtue of a seemingly benign recap exercise.

Thank you all so much.
Before carrying out recapping which can be pejorative (on any system loudspeakers) it is necessary to discriminate what is wrong and whether the problem is occasional or not. Sometimes with multi-way loudspeakers there is a shift of the image in the face of minimal movements of our ears and this in the face of interference between the loudspeakers of the two channels according to their distance from our ears. The advice I can give you to verify what the problem is is to listen to only one TL800 at a time on the same channel and in the same physical position .... only in this way can you make sure (if you don't have any instruments except for the ears) if there is something is wrong with one of the speakers. I recently tried the TL800s at 80cm from the front panel to back wall (always on BF4) with satisfaction. Also must check for air tightne
Massimo

Rispondi